Michelle Bakes: Cherry Pie Crumb Bars
If you’re looking to use up the rest of those fresh-picked Michigan cherries – Michelle Dunaway has the perfect recipe for you! We get a taste of a cherry pie crumb bar in the latest edition of Michelle Bakes. This recipe was inspired by Crunchy Creamy Sweet, and ingredients were provided by Burritt’s Fresh Markets.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted, each sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a square 8″ baking pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom of lined pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cherries, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and stir with a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread cherry filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over cherries.
- Sprinkle sugar over crumb topping.
- Bake bars for 23 to 25 minutes OR until the top is golden.
- Cool completely before cutting.