Wellness for the Family: Slow Cooker Super Soups
January is National Slow Cooker and Soup Month and we are encouraging you to make some delicious, healthy, and simple meals in this week’s Wellness for the Family.
Michelle was back with registered dietitian Grace Derocha of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to bring us some recipes.
Here they are:
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Soup
- 3 cans (15-ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 quart of vegetable broth or chicken broth – low sodium
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9 ounces of pre-washed baby spinach
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker except for the spinach.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Put the slow cooker on warm and stir in spinach until it wilts about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Thai Soup
- 2 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 ½ pound of chicken breasts cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1 cups of thawed frozen peas
- Cilantro for garnish
- Mix the curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter into the slow cooker bowl.
- Place the chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion and ginger in the slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for four hours.
- Add the peas and cook for a half-hour longer.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!