A fire broke out in a Northern Michigan Transit Garage, destroying two buses and potentially damaging others.
The bus fire broke out at Yates Dial-A-Ride Bus Garage in Lake County, just after 9:00 AM, yesterday morning.
Nearly the entire front end of one bus is gone and the back of another is damaged.
Initial assessment shows other buses in the garage may only have to be cleaned of the smoke, and the building is intact.
Yates Dial-A-Ride covers public transit for all of Lake County and is the primary bus service for Baldwin Schools.
Despite the loss of these buses, the Dial-A-Ride is working to not miss a beat when is comes to customers.
The Executive Director of Yates Dial-A-Ride, Vedra Gant says,
"It may take a little longer to get some things done because we will be using some of our smaller vehicles for capacities we might need, but we will get it done. We'll be doing some shuffling around, but we can handle it and we feel very confident in that."
The cause has not yet been confirmed, but the Fire Chief says he believes it was a heater used in the bus' diesel engine.