Buttery Spiced Peel-and-Eat Shrimp
Buttery Spiced Peel-and-Eat Shrimp (Active: 30 min.; Total: 1 hr.; Serves 4)
– 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
– 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
– 1 tsp finely-grated lime zest
– Kosher salt and pepper
– 1 ½ lbs. shell-on large shrimp (about 24 shrimp)
– Chopped cilantro and lime wedges, for serving
1. In a small bowl, using a fork, blend the butter with the jalapeno, lime zest, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
2. Using scissors, cut along the back of each shrimp and scrape out the vein. Gently open the shell without breaking it off and, using a thin offset spatula or knife, spread some of the butter on both sides of each shrimp. Transfer the shrimp to a baking sheet, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Light a grill. Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Note: the uncooked prepared shrimp can be refrigerated overnight.