The Latest: Northern California wildfire now 60% contained
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on California wildfires (all times local):
Officials say a wildfire burning in Northern California’s wine country that forced the evacuation of more than 180,000 people is now 60% contained and has not increased in size since Wednesday.
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection officials said Thursday that firefighting crews working through the night increased their control of the fire from 45% containment.
The fire started last week near the town of Geyserville in Sonoma County north of San Francisco and has scorched about 120 square miles (311 square kilometers). It has destroyed 141 homes and threatens 90,000 structures.
Most of those evacuated after the fire started last week have been allowed to return home.
Authorities say a wind-driven wildfire fire in San Bernardino, California, has destroyed or damaged six homes and two outbuildings.
San Bernardino County Fire Chief Don Trapp says about 500 homes have been evacuated since the fire broke out in foothills before dawn Thursday and winds drove it down into the city.
The 200-acre (80-hectare) blaze is one of two new wildfires burning in the inland region east of Los Angeles.
In the nearby city of Jurupa Valley, an early morning blaze has grown to 150 acres (60 hectares). It has destroyed three homes and forced evacuations.
Forecasters expect winds to continue on and off through the day before fading away in the evening.
Firefighters are battling two fires in the inland region east of Los Angeles as strong winds sweep parts of California.
The San Bernardino County Fire Department says an estimated 490 homes and 1,300 people are under evacuation orders Thursday morning on the northern edge of the city of San Bernardino adjacent to wildland areas.
At least four homes have been seen burning as the fire has grown to 200 acres (80 hectares).
In neighboring Riverside County, three homes and two outbuildings have been destroyed by a 75-acre (30-hectare) fire.
Firefighters have ordered evacuations.
A new wildfire has broken out in California, this one in San Bernardino. It has torched at least four homes and forced evacuations.
The San Bernardino County Fire Department says the blaze was reported early Thursday along Highway 18 at Lower Waterman Canyon.
Aerial video from Sky7 showed at least four homes on fire, and more than 200 acres have reportedly burned.
Authorities ordered evacuations for the Northpark neighborhood and all areas in north San Bernardino west of Highway 18, according to media reports.
No other information was immediately available.
Santa Ana winds are expected to linger for a final day after driving more than a dozen wildfires through California, sending thousands fleeing and burning nearly up to the walls of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.
Firefighters managed to tamp down or at least partially corral fires that for the past few days surged through tinder-dry brush in both the north and south, destroying dozens of homes.
But much of Los Angeles and Ventura counties remain under a National Weather Service red flag warning of extreme fire danger through Thursday evening because of bone-dry humidity and the chance of winds gusting to 70 mph (112 kph) in the mountains.
Fire crews worked through the night to make sure a fire that burned dangerously near the Reagan library Wednesday and prompted thousands to flee doesn’t re-erupt.
Melley reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press writers John Antczak and Christopher Weber in Los Angeles, Amy Taxin in Jurupa Valley and Stefanie Dazio in Thousand Oaks contributed