Omaha archdiocese: 38 clergy accused of sex abuse since ’78
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Omaha has released a list of 38 priests and other clergy members who have been credibly accused of sexual misconduct.
The archdiocese said Friday that it sent the list to the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office, which requested the information earlier this year.
The archdiocese says 24 of the priests were under its control and have either died or been removed from the clergy. Reports on 10 other visiting priests and four deacons were also submitted.
The archdiocese says the allegations date back to 1956, but no cases were reported before 1978.
Omaha Archbishop George Lucas apologized to victims and their families, saying the church is “deeply saddened so many innocent minors and young adults were harmed by the church’s ministers.”