Latest Michigan news, sports, business and entertainment at 6:20 a.m. EDT

MEASLES-MICHIGAN

Michigan measles up to 41; Washtenaw County makes list

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The number of measles cases in Michigan has reached 41, including the first reported in Washtenaw County.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services updated the numbers Monday with two additional cases. Thirty-nine cases have been confirmed in Oakland County.

Authorities are trying to determine possible exposure sites in Washtenaw County in southeastern Michigan. They’re also urging people again to get vaccinated if they haven’t received the vaccine in the past. Measles is highly contagious and is spread by personal contact and through the air.

The state considers the vaccine to be highly effective and safe. A single dose protects about 95% of children. After two doses, almost 100% are immune.

The number of measles cases in Michigan is the highest since 65 in 1991.

CONGRESS-MICHIGAN-6TH DISTRICT

Democrat Jon Hoadley launches run against Rep. Fred Upton

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — Democratic state Rep. Jon Hoadley is launching a campaign to unseat longtime Republican U.S. Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan.

Hoadley, who announced his run Monday, has represented the Kalamazoo area since 2015. He says he’s tired of “watching those with so much tell the rest of us that we haven’t earned anything at all.”

Upton has been in Congress for more than 32 years. His 4 percentage point victory in the 6th District last year — the narrowest of his career — has buoyed Democrats before 2020.

Hoadley owns a liberal public affairs business and has organized ballot measures advancing LGBTQ equality. He says it’s time to face the country’s challenges with “fresh ideas.”

Upton’s campaign says he’s focused on bipartisan issues like improving the economy and combatting contaminated water.

MICHIGAN FLOODING

Federal support approved for eligible Michigan flood victims

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved a request for an administrative declaration of disaster for parts of western Michigan that suffered through widespread flooding due to heavy rainfall and melting snow.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says the declaration means residents and businesses affected by the March 14 flooding are eligible to apply for financial assistance.

The Small Business Administration’s disaster assistance program will make low-interest loans available to eligible residents and businesses in Newaygo, Kent, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Oceana and Osceola counties.

The loans can help repair or replace real estate, personal property, equipment, inventory and business assets that were damaged or destroyed.

Officials have said more than 130 homes and businesses were damaged. Whitmer declared a state of emergency on March 19 for Newaygo County.

DEMOLITION-BRIBES

Feds file charges in investigation of Detroit demolitions

DETROIT (AP) — Two people have been charged in an investigation of alleged corruption in Detroit’s home demolition program.

Aradondo Haskins and Anthony Daguanno worked for Adamo Group, a demolition contractor. They’re accused of accepting thousands of dollars to share bid information with other contractors who wanted work on the multimillion-dollar effort to get rid of abandoned homes.

Haskins later worked for the city. He and Daguanno are each charged with conspiracy. Both are expected in federal court Tuesday. The names of their lawyers weren’t immediately known.

The government alleges that Haskins, a Detroit resident, received $25,500. Daguanno of New Baltimore is accused of receiving more than $372,000, starting in 2010.

DETROIT-NONPROFIT PROBE

Detroit investigator will check city hall’s tie to nonprofit

DETROIT (AP) — The city of Detroit’s inspector general is investigating whether Mayor Mike Duggan and officials provided improper help to a nonprofit group that tries to prevent premature births.

The Detroit Free Press last week reported that the group, Make Your Date, has received $358,000, a portion of Detroit’s share of state money for maternal and child health programs. The newspaper says a city official also was told to raise money for the organization, although the effort was dropped.

The Office of Inspector General is an independent city office that investigates waste, fraud and abuse. Ellen Ha was appointed last year by the city council.

Duggan’s chief of staff, Alexis Wiley, says there’s been no wrongdoing. She says the city welcomes an “independent review” by the inspector general.

FATAL SHOOTING-ICE AGENT

Prosecutor to review 2015 fatal shooting by ICE agent

DETROIT (AP) — Authorities are taking another look at the fatal shooting of an armed robbery suspect by a U.S. customs agent in Detroit.

The Wayne County prosecutor’s office says it is reviewing new information to “determine if it would in any way affect” a previous decision in the 2015 death of 20-year-old Terrance Kellom.

Police have said Kellom was shot after lunging at the agent with a hammer during a raid at his father’s home. His father, Kevin Kellom, has disputed the police account.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy has said Kellom was shot in self-defense and the agent would not be charged.

Nabih Ayad, a lawyer representing Kellom’s family, has said an officer who earlier said Kellom had a hammer changed his story while under oath in the family’s civil suit against the agent.

BALLOT SELFIES

Deal reached on lawsuit over Michigan ban on ballot selfies

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson has agreed to settle a lawsuit over a ban on so-called ballot selfies.

Joel Crookston, a voter in the Kalamazoo area, sued in 2016 to try to stop Michigan’s ban on taking photos of marked ballots or publicly exposing them.

Lawyers won’t talk about the deal until details are filed in federal court on May 8. But a court filing last week suggests there will be an easing of the ban. The state said it wanted to avoid “any confusion” in polling places and wait until after local elections are held on May 7.

In 2012, Crookston took a picture of his ballot and posted it on social media. He wasn’t challenged by election officials, but a lawyer warned him that it was illegal and could disqualify his ballot.

Michigan’s prohibition on displaying completed ballots has been around since 1891.

COURT FUNDING

Michigan commission: Trial court funding is ‘broken’

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A commission says the way Michigan trial courts are funded is “broken” and should be overhauled with a new model in which the state shares more of the cost.

The Trial Court Funding Commission, created under a 2017 law, released its interim report Monday. The recommendations are designed to address how judges depend on money from defendants convicted of crimes to cover court operating expenses.

Under one recommendation, the state would establish a fund for receipt of all trial court assessments and state general funds, and distribute the revenue to local courts based on caseloads. Court employees would become state employees, and the state would fund technology needs.

The Michigan Supreme Court is considering whether court costs ordered by judges are an illegal tax against offenders .

___

Online:

Report: http://bit.ly/2G9f5vx

OBIT-SEYMOUR CASSEL

Actor Seymour Cassel, frequent Cassavetes collaborator, dies

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Journeyman character actor Seymour Cassel, who appeared frequently in the films of John Cassavetes and Wes Anderson, has died. His daughter Dilyn Cassel Murphy says Monday that he passed away. He was 84.

Born in Detroit, he made his way to New York in the 1950s to pursue acting. It was there that he met Cassavetes and made his film debut in his 1958 feature “Shadows.”

He’d go on to work for Cassavetes often, with roles in “Faces,” which earned him a best supporting actor nomination in 1969, “Minnie and Moskowitz,” ”Opening Night” and “Love Streams.”

Later, he’d find a fruitful collaboration with filmmaker Wes Anderson as Bert Fischer in “Rushmore,” the ill-fated Esteban in “The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou” and Dusty the elevator operator in “The Royal Tenenbaums.”

COACH HITS REFEREE

Youth basketball coach charged with assaulting referee

PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) — Authorities say a Michigan youth basketball coach accused of punching a Kentucky referee, knocking him unconscious, has been charged with assault.

News outlets cite a statement from the McCracken County sheriff’s office in Kentucky that says 40-year-old Keyon Menifield of Flint, Michigan, had a disagreement Saturday with the referee, 61-year-old Kenny Culp of Paducah. The statement says Culp turned to walk away when Menifield struck him.

Culp was taken to a hospital for treatment, and deputies charged Menifield with assault of a sports official. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he has an attorney.

Culp’s niece, KaSondra Barnett, said on Sunday that he was being treated for a broken collarbone, a crack in his sinus cavity, and a concussion.

McCracken County Sheriff Matt Carter says the investigation is ongoing.