Latest Michigan news, sports, business and entertainment at 5:20 p.m. EDT

DETROIT POLICE-GUNS

Detroit sees ‘uptick’ in violence; hundreds of guns seized

DETROIT (AP) — Detroit’s police chief says officers have seized more than 500 guns since June 22. At a news conference, Chief James Craig described an “uptick in violence” in the city. He says, “We have not seen the number of handguns that we’re seeing now.” At the same time, Craig has defended the fatal shooting of an armed man after a high-speed chase last week. Police were pursuing suspects in another shooting when a car crashed into a tree. Craig says one man got out and pointed a gun at officers. He was shot and killed.

MICHIGAN-WOLF POPULATION

Michigan wolf population at nearly 700 but leveling off

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Wildlife officials say Michigan’s gray wolf population appears to have stabilized, three decades after beginning a remarkable comeback in the Upper Peninsula. The latest biennial survey conducted this winter estimates the predator species total at 695, divided among 143 packs. The Department of Natural Resources says the typical pack has around five wolves. Officials say the population has leveled off at between 600 and 700 after years of rapid growth. Wolves had all but disappeared from the Lower 48 states in the last century but have rebounded after getting federal and state protection.

VIRUS OUTBREAK-AUTO INSURANCE

Michigan drivers refunded $95M in premiums due to virus

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan motorists are being refunded nearly $95 million in car insurance premiums due to a drop in driving and crash claims during the coronavirus pandemic. The amount paid back varies by insurer. The state Department of Insurance and Financial Services said Monday it typically was 15% to 20% in April, May and June. Director Anita Fox in late May and early July issued orders requiring insurers to file a plan to issue refunds, credits or premium waivers to their customers, or to explain why such a modification was not warranted.

ALPENA FIRE-OLD BAR

Alpena rallies to help man after fire strikes iconic saloon

ALPENA, Mich. (AP) — A community in the northern Lower Peninsula is raising money to help a man who his business when fire destroyed a 134-year-old building. Jon Benson was a day away from reopening John A. Lau Saloon after the coronavirus shutdown when fire struck last week in downtown Alpena. Police Chief Joel Jett says Jon Benson often is one of the first people to help during tragic events in Alpena. Jett says it’s now time to “step up” and help Benson. A Gofundme page had raised $8,000 by Monday. The fire also caused some damage next door at the Thunder Bay Theatre.

ELECTION 2020-DEBATES

2nd presidential debate host withdraws amid virus outbreak

WASHINGTON (AP) — The University of Notre Dame has become the second university to withdraw as the host of one of this fall’s three scheduled presidential debates amid the coronavirus pandemic. The university was set to host the inaugural face-off between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden on Sept. 29. The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates announced Monday that the first debate will now be hosted by Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland. In a release, Notre Dame President the Rev. John Jenkins says, “The necessary health precautions would have greatly diminished the educational value of hosting the debate on our campus.” 

APARTMENT-SECRET CAMERA

Court upholds secret hallway camera in SW Michigan drug bust

PARCHMENT, Mich. (AP) — An appeals court has upheld the use of a secret camera outside an apartment in southwestern Michigan. The court says the camera didn’t violate the rights of a man who was sentenced to 16 years in federal prison for a drug crime. Police got a warrant to search the apartment of Raheim Trice after the camera recorded him going in and out of the unit. The camera looked like a smoke detector and was placed on a wall in the building in Parchment. A federal appeals court says Trice had no reasonable expectation of privacy in an unlocked common hallway.

VIRUS OUTBREAK-DETROIT MEMORIAL

Detroit seeking photos of city’s COVID-19 victims for event

DETROIT (AP) — Friday is the deadline for people to submit photos of Detroit residents who died from COVID-19 for a unique public memorial. City officials are planning a memorial at Belle Isle State Park on Aug. 31 for those who have died during the pandemic. Detroit will enlarge the photos and display them at Belle Isle, where people will be able to see them during an all-day memorial drive. More than 1,400 people in Detroit have died from COVID-19 complications, or roughly 24% of all deaths in Michigan. Photos can be sent by email to detroitmemorial2020@gmail.com, by regular mail or online.

VIRUS OUTBREAK-MICHIGAN

Michigan reports no new COVID-19 deaths but adds 1,041 cases

DETROIT (AP) — Michigan public health officials are reporting no new coronavirus deaths but adding 1,041 new confirmed cases. The state’s Department of Health and Human Services says Sunday’s case count is higher because there’s been a delay in processing laboratory results. Overall, the state has reported 78,019 COVID-19 cases and 6,149 deaths. The death count is lower than Friday’s count of 6,151. That’s because state officials acknowledged a handful of manual data entry errors that led to a decrease of 16 deaths. Then on Saturday, 14 more deaths were reported, eight of which were discovered during a review of death certificates. 

BROTHERS ELECTROCUTED

Police: 2 brothers electrocuted when sailboat hit power line

CASSOPOLIS, Mich. (AP) — Police in southwestern Michigan say two brothers were electrocuted when the mast of the sailboat they were moving hit a power line. Cass County Sheriff Richard Behnke said Sunday that the brothers were transported to a hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and were reported in stable condition. Authorities say the men, ages 31 and 19, were accidentally electrocuted while moving a sailboat in LaGrnage Township when the mast struck a power line running to a house. They were transported by ambulance and helicopter to the hospital. Police say the incident remains under investigation.

RESTAURANT SHOOTING-FLINT TOWNSHIP

4 people injured in eastern Michigan restaurant shooting

FLINT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Police say four people have been injured in an early morning shooting at a Flint Township restaurant. Police officers responded around 4 a.m. Sunday to a report of a shooting at Mega Classic Diner. Authorities said a 25-year-old woman, a 31-year-old man and two 26-year-old men were shot. MLive.com reports they were all hospitalized, but their conditions were not immediately available. Flint Township Police Lt. Brad Wangler says it appeared the victims all knew each other. One male suspect was taken into custody. Police are investigating what prompted the shooting.