Latest Michigan news, sports, business and entertainment at 3:20 p.m. EDT
Lawsuit: Teen screamed ‘I can’t breathe’ during restraint
WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich. (AP) — A civil lawsuit filed Monday following the death of a 16-year-old in a Michigan youth facility says he screamed “I can’t breathe” as a staff member placed weight on the Black teen’s chest for nearly 10 minutes. The lawsuit filed Monday names Lakeside Academy in Kalamazoo and Sequel Youth and Family Services as defendants. Cornelius Fredericks died May 1 after going into cardiac arrest April 29. At the time, authorities said he was being restrained by staff after throwing a sandwich. His death came nearly a month before George Floyd died May 25 in Minneapolis, and comparisons are being drawn to the case.
U-Michigan term to start Aug. 31; online classes still key
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — The fall term at the University of Michigan will open Aug. 31 with a mix of remote learning and in-person classes at the Ann Arbor campus. The school announced its latest response to the coronavirus. Residence halls will be open, but there will be an emphasis on boxed meals and fewer people at one time in dining rooms. Large classes will be held online. Small classes will meet in-person, and class sizes in the middle will be a mix of both. President Mark Schlissel is promising more details in the weeks ahead. Schlissel says there are few, if any, one-size-fits-all solutions.
Fuel flowing again in half of Great Lakes pipeline
MACKINAW CITY, Mich. (AP) — An energy company says fuel is flowing again in half of a twin pipeline in Michigan’s Great Lakes after an inspection last week found an anchor support had shifted. Enbridge says operations resumed on Line 5′s west pipe Saturday while the east pipe remains shut down in the Straits of Mackinac, which connect Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. Spokesman Ryan Duffy says Enbridge will repair the east line support system when it gets approval from state and federal officials. Line 5 carries oil and natural gas liquids used in propane from Superior, Wisconsin, to Sarnia, Ontario.
Shooting in Detroit leaves 2 children, 1 man wounded
DETROIT (AP) — Two children and one adult have been shot and wounded in Detroit. Police say a 10-year-old girl, 9-year-old boy and 37-year-old man were standing outdoors about 8 p.m. Sunday on the city’s northwest side when another man approached and shot them. The wounded man and the girl were listed in critical condition at a hospital. The boy was in stable condition. The gunman ran away. No arrests have been made. One man was shot to death and 11 others wounded in seven other shootings in Detroit that started Saturday night.
VIRUS OUTBREAK-TRIALS RESUME
Judges make adjustments as trials resume in Michigan courts
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Jurors are going back to school in a northern Michigan county as judges try to get trials going again after a timeout during the coronavirus pandemic. In Grand Traverse County, a civil trial will start Tuesday. To comply with social distancing requirements, jury selection will be held in the auditorium at Traverse City Central High School. The trial will then shift to a regular courtroom. Judge Kevin Elsenheimer says it could be the first trial since the coronavirus outbreak shut down courtrooms statewide. A criminal trial next week will follow the same steps.
One slain, 11 others wounded in 7 shootings in Detroit
DETROIT (AP) — One man has been killed and 11 other people wounded in seven separate shootings in Detroit over about an eight-hour span. The first two shootings were reported about 10:30 p.m. Saturday and left three people hurt. The last shooting victim was found about 6 a.m. Sunday and was pronounced dead at a hospital. Police say two women and two men were struck about 10:35 p.m. Saturday when shots were fired from a vehicle on the city’s northwest side. Their wounds were not considered life-threatening. No arrests were reported in any of the shootings.
MICHIGAN RIVER-BODY FOUND
Marine unit searching for missing man finds body in river
ROYALTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A body has been recovered from a river in southwestern Michigan two days after a 45-year-old man was reported missing while rescuing a juvenile who was struggling in the water. The Berrien County sheriff’s office says members of its marine unit found the apparent drowning victim shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday in the Saint Joseph River, southwest of Grand Rapids. The body was found about a half-mile from the area in Royalton Township where two adults and three juveniles were swimming Friday evening from a pontoon boat. The sheriff’s office says when one of the juveniles began to struggle, the 45-year-old man jumped in the river to help. The man went beneath the water. Authorities searched Friday but were unable to find him.
AMERICA PROTESTS-BLACK MEN MARCH
Black men plan Southfield march to protest police brutality
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) — A march designed to unite Black men while protesting police brutality and racial injustice is scheduled for next week in suburban Detroit. Organizers say the planned peaceful protest on June 28 will begin at Hope United Methodist Church in Southfield and end at the city’s municipal offices. A voter registration drive will be held, and participants will be encouraged to complete the 2020 census. Protests, demonstrations and unrest have spread to cities around the U.S. following George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody. Floyd died May 25 after after a white officer pressed his knee into the handcuffed Black man’s neck for several minutes.
Michigan’s medical schools see increase in applications
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Some medical schools in Michigan are increasing their class size because they’re receiving an influx of applicants during a time marked by a shortage of physicians. The Lansing State Journal reports that while some schools are taking steps to increase class sizes, the MSU College of Human Medicine says it’s not increasing its nearly 200-student per class capacity. Joel Maurer, assistant dean of admissions for the college, says that would require the school to hire more faculty and expand at its East Lansing and Grand Rapids campuses to increase class sizes.
State ending ties with company after teen’s restraint, death
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has ordered the state’s Department of Health and Human Services to no longer work with a company that provided staffing for a facility where a 16-year-old died earlier this year while being wrongly restrained. Whitmer said in a statement late Saturday that Sequel Youth and Family Services cannot provide services for facilities licensed by the state agency. Cornelius Fredericks died May 1 after going into cardiac arrest April 29. At the time, authorities said he was being restrained by staff after throwing a sandwich. The state on Thursday terminated its contracts with Lakeside Academy in Kalamazoo. The Associated Press left an email Sunday morning seeking comment from Sequel Family and Youth Services.