Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. EDT

HILLSDALE, Mich. (AP) — A politically-connected conservative college in southern Michigan has defied warnings from state and public health officials by holding an in-person graduation ceremony. The Detroit News reports Hillsdale College held graduation Saturday evening. The college had expected more than 2,000 people. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel had called the celebration amid restrictions on public gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic illegal. COVID-19 cases have been on the rise in recent days. University officials say graduation is an important milestone and safety precautions were taken, including wearing masks. More than 73,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Michigan. 

DETROIT (AP) — Wayne County has received $7.5 million to assist small businesses suffering through the coronavirus pandemic. The small business grants from the Michigan Economic Development Corp. are through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. The funding is in addition to $50 million in small business readiness grants Wayne County allocated to small businesses about two weeks ago. The county is expanding its small business grant program and has started a second phase of applications through Aug. 5. The county says applications will be processed in batches on a first-come, first-served basis. 

DETROIT (AP) — More than $4 million has been distributed to hundreds of people who were victims of a Detroit-area doctor’s bogus diagnoses. The U.S. Attorney’s Office says restitution from Farid Fata was recently completed for his former patients, five years after Fata was sentenced to 45 years in prison. Fata poisoned patients through needless cancer treatments that wrecked their health and, in some cases, contributed to their death. More than 600 people filed claims for out-of-pocket expenses, such as co-payments and funeral expenses. It was a long process that involved the government, an outside contractor and judges at U.S. District Court.

DETROIT (AP) — Revenue from Detroit’s three casinos has plummeted nearly 60% so far this year as the gambling halls’ months-long closure in response to the coronavirus pandemic continues. The decline also is leaving the city without a major source of tax revenue. The Detroit News reports that MGM Grand Detroit, MotorCity Casino and Greektown Casino have struggled to book revenue during the state-mandated closures. In turn, the city is seeing less casino wagering taxes this year. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in March ordered casinos closed along with gyms, bars and theaters in an effort to slow down the rate of virus infection.