Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. EDT

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The leader of a nursing home group says expanded coronavirus testing is crucial to reopening the facilities to visitors, saying Michigan may be close to relaxing restrictions in a phased way. Melissa Samuel, president and CEO of the Health Care Association of Michigan, told lawmakers Tuesday that some initial “baseline” testing of all residents and staff is underway with help from the Michigan National Guard. But it is not complete, and there is not yet resolution on how to pay for ongoing testing or its frequency. Samuel says nursing homes recognize the difficulties of visitation prohibitions for family and residents.

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — A federal court has sided with pipeline company Enbridge in a dispute over plans to deal with a potential oil spill in Michigan’s Straits of Mackinac. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last week overruled a judge who had found that a federal agency wrongly approved Enbridge’s plans. The judge agreed with the National Wildlife Federation that the federal Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration should have considered risks to endangered species and required an environmental impact statement. But in a 2-1 ruling, the appeals panel said the agency had correctly based its approval of the plans on criteria in the Clean Water Act. 

DETROIT (AP) — The state of Michigan has filed a lawsuit against the owner of two dams, seeking fines for the destruction of natural resources as well as “gross mismanagement” that preceded a devastating flood in Midland County. Attorney General Dana Nessel and Liesl Clark, Michigan’s top environmental regulator, say blame for the May 19 flood falls squarely on Boyce Hydro Power. At least 150 homes were destroyed and thousands of people were forced to flee. The Edenville dam failed during a steady rain, draining Wixom Lake and unleashing the Tittabawassee River. A local group was attempting to acquire the dam and make repairs before disaster struck.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A lawsuit alleges that 16 Michigan counties have abnormally high voter registration rates because state and local election officials are not doing enough to remove ineligible people from the rolls. Republican Tony Daunt’s complaint in Grand Rapids federal court — filed Tuesday — alleges that inaccurate voter lists will undermine the integrity of the 2020 election by letting ineligible people vote unless names are purged. The defendants include Democratic Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson and 16 county clerks. Actual reports of voting fraud remain extremely rare. Benson’s spokesman says the suit uses “debunked claims and bad statistics.”