Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. EDT

DOUGLASS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A 36-year-old western Michigan woman has been charged with murder and child abuse following the death of a toddler she was babysitting. Kellie Barthel was arraigned Friday in Montcalm County District Court. Nearly 2-year-old Vayda Vasquez was found unresponsive March 2 in a Douglass Township home, northeast of Grand Rapids. She had suffered multiple skull fractures and later was pronounced dead. Barthel was arrested Wednesday. The Associated Press was unable Friday night to determine if Barthel has an attorney.

DETROIT (AP) — Michigan has reported 205 new deaths from COVID-19, the state’s highest daily toll since the pandemic began. Also Friday, a temporary hospital for coronavirus patients opened at the TCF Center in Detroit to ease the pressure on health care providers. Despite the rising death toll, hospitals in hard-hit southeastern Michigan have been expressing optimism about their caseloads. As a result, Michigan Medicine at the University of Michigan hasn’t opened a temporary hospital as planned. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has extended her stay-at-home order through April 30. She says the spike in deaths shows “we are not out of the woods yet.”

DETROIT (AP) — Dozens of police officer have been able to return to work quickly after being quarantined, or have avoided quarantine altogether, because of speedy testing for the new coronavirus. Over the past week or so, more than 1,000 officers, firefighters, paramedics, bus drivers and other city employees have provided nasal swabs before starting their shifts. Results are available in 15 minutes. Mayor Mike Duggan’s office says 990 of the tests came back negative for the virus, while 140 were positive. Of the police officers tested, 307 were negative and 45 were positive. The quick test was developed by Abbott Laboratories, based in suburban-Chicago.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Schools that feed millions of children from low-income families across the U.S. promised to keep providing meals during the coronavirus pandemic. But cities big and small quickly ran into problems when food workers, teachers and volunteers became infected or were too scared to report for duty. Some districts have been forced to suspend their programs altogether. That’s left families who are already struggling more desperate. After a more than weeklong shutdown in Houston, schools in the nation’s fourth-largest city made changes to reduce risks. The district started giving out enough food to last for several days in fewer locations.