Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 7:40 a.m. EDT
WHITE LAKE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Police in southeastern Michigan are investigating the death of a professional poker player whose burned body was found in a recreation area a month after she returned from Los Angeles to live with family. Susie Zhao was 33 years old and known to other players as Susie Q. Police say her death could be related to her travels on the poker circuit. Zhao’s body was discovered July 13 at the Pontiac Lake Recreation Area in Oakland County, Michigan. Investigators have declined to go into detail about how she was killed. On her Twitter page, Zhao said she plays “high stakes poker for a living.” She had earnings of at least $187,441, according to the World Series of Poker website.
DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Free Press/TCF Bank Marathon in Detroit is joining other large cities in canceling its fall event because of the coronavirus. It would have been the event’s 43rd year. It offers a 26.2-mile race that takes runners over the Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, Ontario, and back to the U.S. through a Detroit River tunnel. There are also two half marathons. Runners who had registered can participate in a virtual event, roll over their registration to 2021 or 2022 at no cost or get a 50% refund. Details on the virtual races will be announced July 30.
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan State University football team has suspended workouts and its players will quarantine for 14 days after a second staff member and a player tested positive for the coronavirus. Meanwhile, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has extended a ban on family visitors at nursing homes and congregate care sites through Aug. 31. There’s an exception for people who want to see someone in serious or critical condition or in hospice care. Facilities must make “best efforts” to help residents communicate with people by phone or electronic devices. The state health department reported 594 new cases and three additional deaths Friday. About 3.7% of tests have been positive this week.
DETROIT (AP) — Officials say at least two Detroit students attending summer school have tested positive for the coronavirus after a judge ordered tests as a condition for attendance in the voluntary classes. The students were told to self-quarantine with their families. So far, more than 250 students have been tested since federal Judge Arthur Tarnow’s order Tuesday. The Detroit district has said more than 600 students have been attending in-person classes since July 13. There’s also an online option. The testing order followed a lawsuit by activists who are opposed to in-person instruction. The district requires students and staff to wear masks, and the number of students in each classroom is limited.