Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 7:40 a.m. EDT

DETROIT (AP) — A police corporal accused of shooting three photojournalists with rubber pellets while they covered protests in Detroit against police brutality has been charged with assault. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy says Monday that 32-year-old Detroit Police Corporal Daniel Debono faces multiple counts of felonious assault. Worthy says on May 31 in downtown Detroit, 30-year-old MLive.com photojournalist Nicole Hester and two independent photojournalists, 28-year-old Seth Herald and 29-year-old Matthew Hatcher, encountered Debono and two other officers. Worthy says the photojournalists were wearing press credentials, identified themselves as media and raised their hands as they asked to cross the street when Debono shot them with rubber pellets. They suffered bruises and other injuries.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan lawmakers will return to session to pass a multibillion-dollar plan to resolve the deficit caused by the coronavirus shutdown — with a mix of spending cuts, a drawdown of the state’s savings and a big influx of federal rescue aid. The framework of the deal was announced three weeks ago by Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Republican legislative leaders. But now negotiators are ironing out specifics in hopes of patching the remaining $2.2 billion budget hole this week before turning their attention to another major shortfall in the fiscal year that starts in October.

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) — A judge in Michigan who’s under criticism for detaining a 15-year-old girl after she failed to do her schoolwork has denied the teen early release. The Detroit News reports that Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Mary Ellen Brennan said during a hearing Monday that the girl was placed in a juvenile facility because she was a threat to her mother. ProPublica reported last week that the girl has been in Oakland County’s Children’s Village since mid-May for violating probation in a case involving allegations of assault and theft. Brennan had cited a “failure to submit to any schoolwork and getting up for school.”

LUDINGTON, Mich. (AP) — A northern Michigan restaurant lost thousands of dollars in sales after a busboy said he had COVID-19, but the employee simply wanted a day off and lied. David Hritco is manager of Timbers Seafood and Steakhouse in Ludington. Hritco says it’s “heartbreaking.” The restaurant closed Friday and Saturday. The timing was terrible for the restaurant, which is trying to recover during the peak summer season after months of being closed. Hritco says the employee confessed to the lie Saturday night. The manager says it’s now a matter for Ludington police.