Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 7:40 a.m. EDT
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced that, effective Monday, all of Michigan’s public and private schools will closed through April 5 to combat the spread of a rising number of coronavirus cases. The announcement Thursday night came as officials said 10 more cases have been confirmed in Michigan, raising the tally to 12. Officials say all the new cases are adults — three in Kent County; two in Oakland County; two from Washtenaw County; and one each from Ingham, St. Clair and Montcalm counties. Michigan’s chief medical executive says she’s concerned with the federal government’s ability to provide enough COVID-19 tests.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Three former student-athletes say they were sexually abused by a track coach and are suing the NCAA, its board of governors and a coach. They allege the NCAA didn’t do enough to protect its athletes. Erin Aldrich, Londa Bevins and Jessica Johnson are seeking class action status for the federal lawsuit filed Wednesday in California. The women say they were sexually abused by John Rembao while he worked at Texas and Arizona. They want the suit to include any NCAA student-athlete at any member school since 1992 who say they were put at risk by the inaction of the NCAA.
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — A northern Michigan man has been sentenced in the slaying of a woman whose body was found in a wooded area. WPBN-TV reports that a judge in Traverse City on Thursday handed down a sentence of 30 to 50 years in prison to 50-year-old Frank Supal. Supal pleaded guilty in February to second-degree murder. He and Wanda Lyons had been drinking Dec. 10 when she was killed at a Traverse City motel. Someone following drag marks on the ground found Lyons’ body the next day in a ravine near Maple City in Leelanau County, northwest of Traverse City. An autopsy revealed she was beaten, stabbed and strangled.
MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) — State lawmakers have approved $600,000 to help demolish an industrial building that is linked to a spill of green goo along a Detroit-area interstate. The fate of the Electro-Plating Services site is tied up in litigation in Oakland County court. Madison Heights City Manager Melissa Marsh says demolition and cleanup could cost more than $1 million. Electro-Plating Services was shut down by state regulators in 2016 due to mismanagement of industrial waste. In late December, drivers on Interstate 696 saw a brightly colored goo seeping through a concrete barrier along the shoulder. It apparently migrated through soil.