Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 6:40 a.m. EDT

DETROIT (AP) — A Flint-area prosecutor says his office will no longer authorize criminal charges in cases that begin with a police officer stopping someone for simply walking in the street. Genesee County prosecutor David Leyton says the tactic can lead to a gun or drug charge. Leyton says it’s used more in urban areas where minorities live instead of suburban communities. The prosecutor calls it unfair and “likely unconstitutional.” Leyton says the new policy in Genesee County comes while officials across the U.S. talk about how minorities have been treated in the justice system since the death of George Floyd.

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) — Michigan’s Attorney General will review the 2014 death of a 25-year-old black man who died during a struggle with security guards at a suburban Detroit shopping mall. Dana Nessel’s office says Tuesday that it will look into how McKenzie Cochran died as protests continue in the Detroit area and across the country following last month’s death of George Floyd. Police in Southfield initially investigated Cochran’s death before turning the case over to the Oakland County prosecutor’s office which decided not to issue criminal charges against the security guards. Nessel’s office says Southfield police and the prosecutor’s office have request that she review the case. 

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel has unveiled several changes she hopes to make to policing in the state. Among the changes Nessel proposed Tuesday is one that would create a public registry of verified police misconduct claims meant to increase transparency and prevent problem officers from getting rehired in law enforcement elsewhere. She has also proposed that law enforcement agencies be required to report data on the use of force, including data pertaining to race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and age. The proposals follow the deaths of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the widespread protests over racial inequality that his death inspired.

DETROIT (AP) — An annual Labor Day march in Detroit has been canceled due to concerns over the COVID-19 virus outbreak. The Metro Detroit AFL-CIO labor union said Tuesday that replacement events in some virtual or hybrid form are being planned that will allow participation while keeping people safe and healthy. President Daryl Newman said a major event will be announced closer to Labor Day which is Sept. 7. Detroit’s health department on Tuesday reported nearly 11,300 confirmed virus cases and more than 1,420 deaths due to complications from the disease.