Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 3:40 p.m. EST
CHARLOTTE, Mich. (AP) — A man who is one of three people charged in the 2002 slaying of a Michigan man has been sentenced to at least 15 years in prison. The charred remains of Robert Caraballo weren’t identified until 2015, years after they were discovered in a foot locker in a blueberry field. Christopher McMillan pleaded guilty in October to second-degree murder and was sentenced Thursday. He’s expected to help prosecutors in the case against two co-defendants, including the victim’s wife.
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan lawmaker who was disciplined after an investigation found “credible” claims that he sexually harassed three women says he harassed no one. Sen. Peter Lucido issued a statement Friday, a day after the state Senate leader removed him from a committee he led and ordered that he undergo training. Lucido notes that the Senate Business Office and its outside lawyers determined the allegations could not be “unequivocally substantiated.” The review, though, found all of the accusers “credible” and concluded it was “more likely than not” that each incident occurred as reported.
DETROIT (AP) — Officials say five people who worked in a Michigan wildlife disease lab were diagnosed last year with a latent form of tuberculosis. The Department of Natural Resources lab processes thousands of deer heads during hunting season to check for chronic wasting disease and bovine TB. TB is an illness caused by bacteria that attack the lungs. It can be fatal, although a latent form shows no symptoms and doesn’t make people feel sick. DNR spokesman Ed Golder says it’s been the department’s “working assumption” that the workers got TB from infected deer. But Golder says, “We can’t say for sure.”
ANN ARBOR, Mich, (AP) — The University of Michigan says it will not change the way it is handling the investigation into allegations of sexual abuse by a late doctor at the University of Michigan. A statement released Friday from President Mark Schlissel and the board of regents says it is “overseeing a process that will ultimately serve as the best course of action” for the survivors and the university. The statement came in response to calls by accusers and their lawyers for Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel to investigate. Nessel says she would welcome a request from the university to investigate but first asked for a commitment of full cooperation from the university.