Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 3:40 a.m. EDT
DETROIT (AP) — Video released by Detroit police show a young man appearing to shoot at an officer at close range on Friday before fellow officers opened fire, killing the suspect. Police Chief James Craig told reporters as he released the video Friday evening that the suspect he identified as 20-year-old Hakeem Littleton was no more than 3 feet away when he began shooting. Hours earlier, dozens of protesters converged at the site of the shooting on Detroit’s west side, yelling at police and chanting “Black Lives Matter” and “Defund DPD!” Craig said he wanted to released the videos promptly because of what he described as rumors about the shooting, which he said included erroneous social media postings that Littleton had been unarmed.
UNDATED (AP) — A white woman facing criminal charges after she was captured on video pulling a handgun on an unarmed Black woman and her daughters outside a Michigan restaurant says she feared for her life. Jillian and Eric Wuestenberg have been charged by the Oakland County prosecutor with felonious assault stemming from the July 1 confrontation. Jillian Wuestenberg told Detroit TV station WXYZ that she thought she might die when she pointed a handgun at Takelia Hill and her daughters. An attorney for Hill says the Wuestenbergs were never threatened with a weapon and could have left the parking lot.
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is toughening a requirement to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic, mandating that businesses open to the public deny service or entry to customers who refuse to wear one. The governor on Friday also expanded where people must have a face covering beyond indoor public spaces. Starting immediately, they have to wear one outdoors if they can’t consistently keep 6 feet from non-household members, and while using public transit, a taxi or a ride-sharing vehicle. Violators will be subject to a misdemeanor fine. The Democratic governor wrote in an order: “No shirts, no shoes, no mask — no service.”
MIDLAND, Mich. (AP) — President Donald Trump says he approved a major disaster declaration for mid-Michigan counties swept by May floods and will provide more than $43 million to help in the recovery. Trump mentioned U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar, a Republican who represents the Midland area, in his tweet. He didn’t mention Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who made a request for the declaration. The Edenville dam failed during a steady rain, draining Wixom Lake in May. The Tittabawassee River also overwhelmed the Sanford dam, about 140 miles north of Detroit.