Here is the latest Michigan news from The Associated Press at 3:40 a.m. EDT
DETROIT (AP) — Officials say Michigan deaths from the coronavirus rose 16% in the largest daily jump since the pandemic hit the state. The state reported 118 additional deaths related to the respiratory disease caused by the virus, raising the total to 845. The number of confirmed coronavirus cases rose 10% to nearly 19,000. Gov Gretchen Whitmer says “it’s another tough 24 hours” in Michigan. In Detroit, Mayor Mike Duggan said the city will begin testing residents at nursing homes with a fast virus test used on police and firefighters. The city has more than 25% of Michigan’s cases and deaths.
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Republican-led Michigan Legislature has lengthened Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus emergency declaration by 23 days, through April, rather than adopt the 70-day extension she had sought. Republicans say they had to vote Tuesday to keep Whitmer’s emergency declaration from expiring. But Democrats say it would not have lapsed because she issued a declaration last week, meaning legislators did not have to vote until April 29. Lengthening Whitmer’s emergency is important because the original declaration is the basis for roughly 30 subsequent executive orders, including those telling people to stay home and closing schools and businesses.
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — If you’re a census slacker and haven’t yet filled out the form for the 2020 head count, the federal government is trying another way to get in touch with you. Starting Wednesday, the U.S. Census Bureau is mailing out millions of paper forms to homes whose residents haven’t yet answered the once-a-decade questionnaire. About a month into the start of the 2020 census for most U.S. residents, the self-response rate is approaching half of all households. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are setting the pace with response rates over 50%. Alaska, West Virginia and New Mexico are lagging with response rates ranging between a quarter and a third of households.
DETROIT (AP) — A judge has cleared the way for a trial or financial settlement in the case of a Detroit man who spent 25 years in prison for a wrongful conviction. Desmond Ricks was released in 2017 after proving that a gun seized from his mother couldn’t have been used in the fatal shooting of his friend in 1992. Ricks claims he was framed with fake or falsified evidence. Federal Judge Paul Borman ruled last Thursday that retired police sued by Ricks don’t have immunity in the lawsuit. Ricks hopes the city of Detroit will agree to settle the case.