Pardoned Turkey’s Name Revealed, And It’s A Good One
UPDATE 11/21/22 4:20 p.m.
The winning name for the Michigan Turkey Naming Contest was announced Monday during Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s pardoning of the bird.
Mitch E. Gander was the final name given to the turkey before the pardoning took place.
There were over 6,000 names to pick from, and some honorable mentions included:
- Tahquamenon Tom (Kerry Quick, Chesterfield and Ben Schultz, Ann Arbor, 6th grade)
- Otto Moe Beel (David Tomczyk, Ann Arbor)
- Turcules (“like Hercules with a T”) (Jack Neely, Brighton, 5th grade)
- Ryan Gobbling (Christian Hurkmans, Ishpeming, 11th grade)
- Simon Fowl (Jennifer Eccleton, Taylor)
- Lynyrd (Dorothy Rosentreter, Chelsea, and Mike Dotsch, Alpena)
- Mack E. Gnaw (The Hayes family: Kristin, Mike, Maddie, & Miles, from Cadillac)
- Roger Featherer (Joan Hanna Darrell, Kalamazoo)
- Steve Thighzerman (Sean Hickey, Ypsilanti)
- Tom Thanks (Sean Hickey, Ypsilanti and Elarose Etchison, Big Rapids, 4th grade)
- Teddy Roostavelt (Michelle Rondell, Manistee)
The winning name was sent in by Seneca Sojourn from Grand Rapids, Mia Simmons from Harper Woods, Justin Rzegocki from Saint Clair and Tony Lopez from Riverview.
11/18/22 1:21 p.m.
Michiganders across the state have a chance to name the bird that will be pardoned. The winning name will be announced on Monday, Nov. 21.
There’s no limit to the number of suggestions you can make, but please…leave the little gobbler with some dignity.
Click here to submit, and comment on our Facebook page with your ideas.