A virtual program called Giving & Taking: Making Time for You, started by Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit and Jewish Senior Life of Metropolitan Detroit, has proved so successful that it is being expanded in partnership with to support more family caregivers in Michigan.
Debi Banooni is the director of The Dorothy and Peter Brown Jewish Community Adult Day Program, a program which is run by Gesher Human Services and Jewish Senior Life.
She’s also the director of the Brown Program, a day program for people living with dementia in metro Detroit.
Debi is on Good Day to discuss the new program and how it hopes to help caregivers with useful information as well as self-care advice
The program is funded by a grant from the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Legacy Fund of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan and a grant from the Jewish Federation of North America. Topics being offered include:
- Oct. 25, 2022: Caregiving and social isolation
- Nov. 15, 2022: Hospice 101 and how hospice can be beneficial the earlier it is engaged
- Dec. 20, 2022: Tune into yourself! Caregiver wellness and empowerment through music
- Jan. 17, 2023: Estate planning essentials
- Feb. 21, 2023: Embracing the wellness warrior within through movement, mindfulness, and motivation
- Mar. 21, 2023: Fall prevention – reduce fear of falling and increase physical activity
- Apr. 18, 2023: Nourishment and self-care: The art of dough making