May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
And as we wrap up our look at ways to improve our mental wellness, now we take a look at our kids mental wellbeing.
The four’s Xavier Hershovitz talked with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan on ways to support your child’s mental health.
Some of signs of mental illness in children include:
- Persistent sadness — two or more weeks
- Withdrawing from or avoiding social interactions
- Hurting oneself or talking about hurting oneself
- Talking about death or suicide
- Outbursts or extreme irritability
- Out-of-control behavior that can be harmful
- Drastic changes in mood, behavior or personality
- Changes in eating habits
- Loss of weight
- Difficulty sleeping
- Frequent headaches or stomachaches
- Difficulty concentrating
- Changes in academic performance
- Avoiding or missing school
To learn more about mental health with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, .
The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is also open 24/7 if you or someone you know is facing a mental health crisis. Their number is 1-800-273-8255.