First Defendant Charged in Boy Scouts of America Investigation Arraigned

The first person charged in an ongoing investigation into the Boy Scouts of America was arraigned Monday in Macomb County.

Mark Chapman, 51, of New York, was arraigned from the Macomb County Jail Monday. Chapman was extradited to Michigan from New York.

Earlier in March, Chapman was charged in a Macomb County court with eight counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. The charges stem from alleged abuse against two victims. According to the attorney general’s office, Chapman was involved in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the BSA.

Six of the second-degree CSC charges are related to alleged abuse that began in 2000 around the time the victim was 13 or 14 and continued until he was 17 years old and a senior in high school.  The attorney general’s office says the abuse occurred at the victim’s father’s house, at Chapman’s house and at the local church.

Both of the first-degree CSC and two remaining counts of second-degree CSC are related to the second case where a family member alleged abuse by Chapman started when the victim was around 11 years old. The alleged abuse is said to have gone on for years and often revolved around times that were designated as special opportunities for Chapman to spend time with the boy.

On the CSC first-degree case, Chapman was not given bond. On the case of only CSC second-degree charges, bond was set at $300,000 cash/surety.

A probable cause conference is slated for April 6. Preliminary examinations are set for April 13.

“We appreciate our ongoing partnership with MSP to reach this point in this important investigation,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said. “These charges are only the beginning. We ask anyone with information that could assist our BSA team to call our investigation tip line. We remain committed to securing justice for survivors of abuse.”

This joint investigation between Michigan Department of Attorney General and MSP was announced in June 2021. The Michigan Department of Attorney General says it is examining a total of 5,000 claims sent from BSA national for review. Currently, a completed review of 550 claims resulted in roughly 60 inquiries sent to MSP for further investigation. The claim review process remains ongoing.

If you have any information about the BSA that could help with the investigation, please call the  investigation tip line at 844-324-3374 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tips can be left anonymously.