Fundraiser Being Held for Boyne City Family of Six Following House Fire

A family of six in Boyne City is asking for help from the community after their house was caught on fire.

According to the landlord of the duplex unit, the fire was started by a heater installed in an aquarium in another resident’s room.

The mother, Jody Kapanke, says that the family nearly lost everything, even their family pet, and says they’re struggling to get their life back to normal.

So far, numerous clothing items have been donated, along with living supplies.

A GoFundMe was started by the landlord of the property, and has so far raised over $15,000.

A silent auction and spaghetti dinner will be held Saturday, and all proceeds will go to the family.

“It’s scary to go through something like that, and then for it to be so intense, and how the fire went so fast, and all my kids were in there sleeping… it’s hard,” said Kapanke.

Despite everything, Kapanke says she’s amazed by the strength shown from her children, partner, and the community.

For more information about the silent auction and spaghetti dinner, click here.