Gingerbread Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sandwiches
Yield: Makes 18 cookies / 9 ice cream sandwiches
For the cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (420 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (170 grams)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (160 grams)
- 1/2 cup molasses (170 grams)
- 1 large egg (55 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the icing (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted (60 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
For the ice cream sandwiches
For the cookies
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar for 5 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses, egg, and vanilla and cream on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and shape into discs.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator. Flour work surface, hands, and rolling pin.
- Roll out dough 1/4-inch thick. Use your cookie cutter and cut dough into gingerbread man shapes and place on baking sheets.
- Re-roll leftover scraps and use cookie cutter again. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake cookies 8-10 minutes. They shouldn’t get any darker.
- Allow to cool.
For the icing
- Mix together all ingredients until no clumps remain. It should be very thick. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Transfer icing to squeeze bottle or pour into pastry bag with small tip.
- Decorate gingerbread men as desired.
- Turn one cookie bottom-side-up and place cookie cutter on top.
- Add 1/4 cup softened ice cream to center of cookie cutter and spread.
- Remove cookie cutter and top with second cookie.
- Press cookies together and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store extra ice cream sandwiches in freezer.