With all this snow outside, we need something warm in our bellies to keep us warm inside!
That’s where Xavier’s Chicken Tortilla Soup comes in. And if you’ve had an instant pot at home you’re afraid to use, this is a great recipe to start with!
Don’t have one? No worries! You can make this in slow cooker or on the stove.
Xavier’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped (either white or yellow)
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth preferably reduced-sodium
- 15 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes drained
- 12 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast about 2 medium breasts
- Salt to taste (the amount will vary depending on the broth. If low-sodium, use more salt but if it is a regular broth, use less salt).
- 2 limes juiced
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Garnishes such as sliced avocado, shredded cheddar, and tortilla chips
In the Instant Pot:
Press the sauté button and let the pot heat for about 3-5 minutes. Add the oil and cook the onion, bell pepper (optional), and jalapeno until onion has softened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir once and a while!
Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the broth, tomatoes, and chicken and stir to combine.
Cancel the sauté function! Lock the lid, seal the valve, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, press the soup button and set manually for 8-10 minutes. Once cook time comes to an end, do a quick release.
Next, remove the lid and shred the chicken breasts on a cutting board or plate using 2 forks. Transfer the shredded chicken to the pot and stir in salt to taste and lime juice.
Serve topped with tortilla chips, avocado slices, and shredded cheddar.
In the Crock Pot:
Stir all the ingredients into the crockpot, except the lime juice, cilantro, and garnishes. Secure the lid and cook on on low for 4-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked. The longer it cooks, the deeper the flavor will be. Then follow steps 5 and 6 for the Instant Pot.
Heat a medium pot over medium heat and follow steps 1-3 for the Instant Pot. It takes about 20 minutes to simmer this chicken tortilla soup, covered, over medium-low heat. Then follow steps 5 and 6 for the Instant Pot.