9&10 News – Assistant News Director
Assistant News Director
At 9&10 News of Northern Michigan you will find a thriving, robust and exciting company with a world class facility and location in beautiful Northern Michigan. We offer competitive pay, first class benefits and opportunities to learn and grow alongside accomplished leaders in the industry.
The Company: Heritage Broadcasting’s roots began on air in 1954 and we have been growing and evolving ever since! We are proud to be the Northern Michigan’s News Leader! Today, we are home to news, weather, and entertainment content, 9&10 News, Local 32, and CW 32 as well as ME TV, Lake Effect Digital, ION, and Mane Content.
The Position: As the Assistant News Director/Assignment Editor, you will work closely with the News Director and Digital team on the daily creation of news, information and lifestyle programming for multiple shows and platforms. You will be responsible for assisting with the daily management of the newsroom and leading the daily management of the newsroom in the Manager’s absence.
- 401K with a Company Match
- 17 Days PTO
- Relocation Allowance
- Innovative: Our industry changes every day. Fresh ideas are welcomed and encouraged!
- Motivating & Engaging: Regardless of position or job title, you will find our team members are proud of their contributions, individual and team accomplishments, and they love to celebrate them!
- Collaborative: No one person or department is able to do it all. We rely on our strengths and weaknesses to complement one another to create an unbeatable team.
- Inclusive: We know to get all kinds of ideas, we need all kinds of people!
- Leads daily editorial meetings and breaking news coverage
- Organize and prioritize information for reporters, writers and producers to execute news coverage
- Researching and fact-checking news stories for credibility and utilizes the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request process.
- Lead the efforts and responsible for the development and implementation of a content strategy that attracts and engages audience across platforms.
- Lead a premium multi-platform news organization including a vast and diverse team of talent across various roles and disciplines.
- Work with the News Director to recruit, develop and retain a strong team, provide guidance and coaching to maximize their performance and accelerate growth.
- Lead with integrity, establishing and maintaining a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment.
- Championing for multi-platform content and managing the flow; including OTT, social media and web applications.
- Developing an extensive network of contacts within the local market to ensure professional relationships and access to information of importance to the local community.
- Performing other duties as needed on a daily basis such as assignment managing, writing, producing, reporting and anchoring.
- Evaluates content and provides feedback to producers, associate producers, anchors, reporters, videographer/editors.
- Assist in department payroll and staff scheduling
- Education and/or Experience – Degree in related field
- 5+ years’ experience in reporting, anchoring, producing/assistant news directing or similar experience in a local television environment.
- A flexible schedule is required.
- Possess aptitude for integrating new technology applications in this multi-media, multi-platform environment.
- Strong understanding of journalistic unbiased integrity, ethics and libel.
- Understanding of the FOIA request process.
- Ability to share vision, gain buy-in, and build loyalty
- Ability to effectively solve problems.
- Creative and able to adapt quickly to change.
- Position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong organization and time management.
- Informed and knowledgeable in current events and news.
The Location: Heritage Broadcasting is based in beautiful Northern Michigan. This is a great place to live, work and play! With rich forests, trails for miles, sand dunes, and an abundance of shoreline, it’s easy to see why we love it so much! Northern Michigan truly offers something for everyone with our beautiful four seasons and opportunity for year round outdoor adventures!
Are you ready? Are you excited?
Please apply if you have the required experience, skills and passion.
Send your resume to DanFirnbach@9and10news.com
Heritage Broadcasting is an EEO Employer.