9&10 News – Assistant Controller
At 9&10 News of Northern Michigan you will find a thriving, robust and exciting company with a world class facility and location in beautiful Northern Michigan. We offer competitive pay, first class benefits and opportunities to learn and grow alongside accomplished leaders in the industry.
The Company: Heritage Broadcasting’s roots began on air in 1954 and we have been growing and evolving ever since! We are proud to be the News Leader in Northern Michigan! Today, we are home to news, weather, and entertainment content, 9&10 News, Local 32, and CW 32 as well as ME TV, Lake Effect Digital, ION, and Mane Content.
The Position: As the Assistant Controller, you will play a key role within the Accounting department assisting and/or leading month end close for a variety of entities in various industries. The individual in this role is expected to maintain and enforce organizational accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- 401K with a Company Match
- 17 Days PTO
- Relocation Allowance
- Innovative: Our industry changes every day. Fresh ideas are welcomed and encouraged!
- Motivating & Engaging: Regardless of position or job title, you will find our team members are proud of their contributions, individual and team accomplishments, and they love to celebrate them!
- Collaborative: No one person or department is able to do it all. We rely on our strengths and weaknesses to complement one another to create an unbeatable team.
- Inclusive: We know to get all kinds of ideas, we need all kinds of people!
- Collaborate and work alongside the Controller to run the day to day operations of the accounting department.
- Involvement in and oversight of general ledger entry preparation and review, account reconciliation preparation and month-end close process.
- Strong understanding of general ledger, bank reconciliations, journal entries, reconciliations, etc.
- Assist the Controller and CFO on various projects on an as needed basis.
- Proven ability to apply broad conceptual judgment and initiative to deal with complex accounting issues.
- Oversee the cash management of the organization by analyzing bank accounts daily and preparing, updating, reviewing, and distributing cash management relate work papers.
- Constantly analyze account department processes and procedures to ensure the method is the most effective and efficient way of delivering timely and accurate financial results.
- Assist in annual audit by preparing audit ready account reconciliations and working directly with auditors as needed.
- Prepare and distribute financials, rent rolls, etc. to upper management as they relate to the commercial real estate operations.
- Manage fixed assets & intangibles, including additions, disposals and booking monthly depreciation and amortization.
- Understand the intricacies of a multi-module ERP system and how sub-ledgers and modules are properly reconciled to each other.
- Lead or assist in the analysis of various expense, income, asset, and liability accounts as they relate to vendors, vendor payments, employee benefits, and employee payments.
- Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s degree in accounting from a four-year college or university and a minimum of two years of experience. CPA designation preferred.
- Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex financial journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as wages and salaries, proportions, and percentages. Ability to manage large volumes of complex data.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills – To perform this position successfully, you should have knowledge of Dynamics GP, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
The Location: Heritage Broadcasting is based in beautiful Northern Michigan. This position will be located at our Traverse City office. This is a great place to live, work and play! With rich forests, trails for miles, sand dunes, and an abundance of shoreline, it’s easy to see why we love it so much! Northern Michigan truly offers something for everyone with our beautiful four seasons and opportunity for year round outdoor adventures!
Are you ready? Are you excited?
If you have the required experience and skills, send your letter of interest, resume, and professional references to Leslie Nowlin, HR Director at email@example.com.
Heritage Broadcasting is an EEO Employer.