Wellness for the Family: Delicious and Festive Desserts for the Holiday Weekend
Millions of Americans will be celebrating this holiday weekend with a ‘Fourth of July’ barbeque. If you’re looking for something unique to bring to the party, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan dietitian, Shanthi Appelö gives us a couple of very festive recipes, including a red, white, and blue mocktail.
Red, White, and Blue Yogurt Panna Cotta – Serves 4
For the Yogurt Panna Cotta
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (1-2% milkfat)
- 1.5 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup milk plus 3 tbsp milk (1-2% milkfat)
- Pour 3 tbsp milk into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin. Let stand 5-10 minutes while completing
the next step.
- Heat 1¼ cup milk and the sugar in small saucepan over medium heat. Add the gelatin mixture
and stir until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved. Do not boil.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into a short glass tilted sideways in a storage container. Cover with
plastic wrap and let set for 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- When finished setting, pour
in the gel (next recipe).
For more festive Fourth of July dessert ideas, go to A Healthier Michigan.