Evart Fire Department Responds to Gas Leak

The Evart Fire Department evacuated homes on Thursday evening.

At around 5 p.m. the Evart Fire Department received a call that a construction crew hit a gas pipe.

The crew was surveying the area to put in internet cables when they struck a two inch pipe.

The leak was located at Hemlock Street and Fifth Street in Evart, across the street from Evart Middle School.

Evart Fire Chief Shane Hemler says DTE Energy came to assist them in the clean up.B4d59053 B80a 45f4 9c46 Ff20a5a7774b

They now have the leak under control and say its safe to return home.

“Had a couple of wind changes so we had had to expand the area a little bit and got people taken care of from there,” said Chief Hemler. “DTE then jumped on scene and within two hours had the gas shut off.”

The Evart Fire Department says they are having DTE follow community members back into their homes in order to check for any detection of gas.