9&10 News – Assignment Desk Editor
Assignment Desk Editor
At 9&10 News of Northern Michigan you will find a thriving, robust and exciting company with a world class facility and location in beautiful Northern Michigan. We offer competitive pay, first class benefits and opportunities to learn and grow alongside accomplished leaders in the industry.
The Company: Heritage Broadcasting’s roots began on air in 1954 and we have been growing and evolving ever since! We are proud to be the Northern Michigan’s News Leader! Today, we are home to news, weather, and entertainment content, 9&10 News, Local 32, and CW 32 as well as ME TV, Northern Michigan Digital, ION, and Mane Content.
The Position: As an Assignment Desk Editor for Northern Michigan’s News Leader, you will be responsible for proposing, coordinating and implementing our daily news coverage plans. You will be the main point of communication between reporters, production teams, and leadership on developing stories. You must possess excellent editorial judgement, have strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills to succeed in our high paced, deadline driven environment. A true passion for journalism and storytelling is a must.
- 401k with a Company Match
- 17 Days PTO
- Clothing & Grooming Allowances
- Relocation Allowance
- Innovative: Our industry changes every day. Fresh ideas are welcomed and encouraged!
- Motivating & Engaging: Regardless of position or job title, you will find our team members are proud of their contributions, individual and team accomplishments, and they love to celebrate them!
- Collaborative: No one person or department is able to do it all. We rely on our strengths and weaknesses to complement one another to create an unbeatable team.
- Inclusive: We know to get all kinds of ideas, we need all kinds of people!
- Identify and gather factual information for news content from various source. This would include press releases, emails and viewer tips.
- Organize and prioritize information for reporters, writers and producers to execute news coverage
- Plays an important role in daily editorial plan for news coverage.
- Must have solid news judgement
- Must be extremely organized
- Excellent communication skills
- Monitor police and emergency scanners for breaking news and react accordingly.
- Write and post content to station website and various other digital platforms.
- Must be able to edit video using Adobe Premiere
- General knowledge of local, state, national and international news.
- One year television news experience and a related college degree preferred. Internship preferred at a commercial licensed television station.
- Leads daily editorial meetings
- Manages live video feeds
- A degree in journalism or a related field is preferred.
- Must have strong organizational, communication and time management skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Must have a positive attitude
- Excellent news judgement
- Knowledge of court systems and FOIA laws preferred
- Excellent logistical skills
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment
- Familiarity with iNews or other producing software preferred
- Familiarity with newsroom processes
The Location: Heritage Broadcasting is based in beautiful Northern Michigan. This position will be based out of our Cadillac office. This is a great place to live, work and play! With rich forests, trails for miles, sand dunes, and an abundance of shoreline, it’s easy to see why we love it so much! Northern Michigan truly offers something for everyone with our beautiful four seasons and opportunity for year round outdoor adventures!
Are you ready? Are you excited?
If you have the required experience and skills, send your letter of interest, resume, and professional references.
Heritage Broadcasting is an EEO Employer.