Tips to Spring Clean Your Life
It is also a good time to take a look at your life and do a little spring cleaning there too.
How do you even start to clean your life up?
The four’s Xavier Hershovitz spoke to New York Times bestselling author Peggy McColl, whose 19th book “Savy Wisdom: It Has The Power to Change Your Life” just came out. She has made a career out of helping people clean their lives up.
Her five tips to spring cleaning your life:
- Clean your routine: It’s not the must-haves like going to work or spending time with your family. It’s everything in-between. What is the first thing you do each morning? What do you do right before going to bed? What do you do in your free time? Make a list of the daily activities you engage in and weed out the ones that aren’t doing you any good. Replace them with things that will move you closer to your goals like reading, exercising, journaling, studying top performers in your industry, etc.
- Clean your friends list: You should never choose your friends based on how successful they are, how much money they have, what kind of car they drive or anything even close to that. But if you want to get ahead in life, start spending more time with people who share the same goals and have already accomplished what you want to do. The truth is you really are like the people you spend the most time around, so get around the right people who can propel you to your dreams.
- Clean your thoughts: What do you say when you talk to yourself? Most people tend to be negative and focus on lack and limitation. An easy way to fix this is anytime you have a negative thought, write it down and replace it with a more realistic positive one. This takes a little getting used to, but the upside is tremendous. Once you learn to eliminate the negativity from your inner dialog, you begin to see the world and your dreams in a whole new light.
- Clean your goals: One of the saddest things I see all the time is people who have lost hold of their goals and dreams. Think back to when you were a kid. You had the wildest most vivacious dreams and you believed in them. But then as the years went by, they got lost somehow. What do you really want in your life right now? Create some new goals, get excited about them, and start going after the things you truly want.
- Clean your schedule: Most people believe the secret to getting ahead is cramming in as many activities as they can each day. This only leads to emotional overwhelm. Instead, clean your schedule so you have more time to focus on you. In fact, carveout at least one hour each day for some time with yourself. Use this time to relax, destress, and recharge. Just get to a quiet place and use it to reset your mind and body. What you’ll find is it helps you be more productive and everything you do, and you’ll feel more in control.
To keep up with Peggy and learn more about her other books, click here.