Meals from the Mitten: Steak & Corn Salad with an Avocado Lime Cilantro Dressing
Friend of ‘The Four’ and author of ‘Meals from the Mitten,’ Gina Ferwerda shows us how to combine fresh and savory flavors in her latest recipe. See how it all comes together, and how this dish can be served up for any occasion. For more information and recipes from Gina Ferwerda, click here.
Steak & Corn Salad with an Avocado Lime Cilantro Dressing
AVOCADO LIME CILANTRO DRESSING
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- Juice of 1 large lime (or 2 small limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco green pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Gina’s Guac Seasoning (or salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion, celery salt, and cumin)
STEAKS & COMPOUND BUTTER
- 2 large thick-cut rib-eye steaks
- Steak seasoning (or kosher salt or sea salt and cracked black pepper)
- Michigan Cherrywood Smoked Seasoning (or a smoked flake sea salt, dill weed, granulated garlic, onion, rosemary and red pepper flake)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
CORN & BLACK BEAN SALAD
- 1 can fresh-cut corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumbers
4 cups mixed salad greens
Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
MAKE AVOCADO LIME CILANTRO DRESSING
Add all dressing ingredients to a food processor. Process until thoroughly combined.
PREPARE CORN & BLACK BEAN SALAD
Add all ingredients to a medium-size bowl, then add half of the Avocado Lime Cilantro Dressing. Gently fold all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
PREPARE STEAK AND COMPOUND BUTTER
Sprinkle seasonings on all sides of the steaks. Add some seasonings to the softened butter and set aside. Place steak on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes each side for medium rare, or longer if desired. Slather 1 tablespoon of compound butter on a cutting board and set one steak on the butter. Slather another tablespoon of compound butter to the top of the steak. Repeat this process for the remaining steak and let steaks rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Add mixed greens to a large salad bowl. Layer some of the corn and black bean salad over the mixed greens. Top the salad with the steak slices and drizzle the entire dish with more dressing and serve family style.