Wellness for the Family: Staying Safe during the Summer
While we’re out in the sun having some fun, it’s important to also remember the dangers that come with summer. From sunburns to dehydration, BCBS health expert and dietitian, Grace Doracha shows us how to stay safe in the heat. Plus, are few other tips to keep us out of the hospital.
- Protect your skin. “We want to make sure that we are putting that SPF every time that we go outside. Protecting our skin from skin cancer, more simple things as sunburns.
- Stay Hydrated. “You want to make sure that you’re drinking your water, you’re having foods that help hydrate. Fruits and vegetables this time of year also great.
- Be careful around fireworks and campfires. “Have someone else light off fireworks. And who doesn’t love a good campfire and relaxing by it – but make sure that you are staying at a safe distance away”.
- Use Bug Sprays and Tick Repellants. “The tiniest creatures on our planet can cause the biggest problems. A simple mosquito or tick bite can turn into major health issues”.
- Water Safety. “Wear that life jacket. Michigan is the Great Lakes State, which means the majority of its residents are heading to unpredictable bodies of water”.
- Wear a Helmet. “An after-dinner stroll on the bike, or an adventurous cycling trip – no matter how old or where – wear a helmet”.
For more health & wellness tips, tricks, and recipes from Grace Doracha and other health experts, click here.