Michigan Reports 435 New Coronavirus Cases, 102 Deaths

Coronavirus Numbers Three Boxes

Michigan is reporting 435 new cases of the coronavirus and 102 additional COVID-19 deaths.

Michigan now has 52,350 total confirmed coronavirus cases and 5,017 COVID-19 deaths.

The state updates these numbers every day at 3 p.m.

As part of regular reviews of death certificate data, Tuesday’s death data include 43 additional deaths identified by this methodology.

Monday the state was at 51,915 confirmed cases with 4,915 deaths.

The state is now providing weekly updates on the number of people who have recovered from COVID-19. These numbers will be updated every Saturday.

As of May 15, 28,234 are being reported as recovered in Michigan.

The state defines ‘recovered’ as the number of persons with a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis who are alive 30 days post-onset (or referral date if onset is not available).

Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson says absentee ballot applications are going to be mailed to Michigan voters for the August primary and November general election.

Benson says this option makes sure that no one has to choose between their health and right to vote.

The state mailed out absentee ballot applications for this past May election.

It ended up being a record turnout.

Locally, Northern Michigan Antique Flywheelers Club has decided to cancel its 2020 events.

Organizers have also canceled the 2020 Buckley Old Engine Show due to the coronavirus crisis.

Organizers say all remaining 2020 public events, including its show in August and Education Days in September, are canceled.

After two months of waiting, while losing money off their bottom line, retail, bars and restaurants can now open just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.

The Alpine Tavern and Eatery in Gaylord is preparing to reopen this Friday.

They are spacing out tables to follow social distancing guidelines.

You won’t find salt and pepper or condiments on the table. Those are by request and sanitized after each use.

They also have their outdoor patio set up and ready for social distancing dining.

Nationally, the final two states in the U.S. have announced plans to reopen their economies.

It comes as the national death toll reaches past 90,000 among 1.5 million confirmed cases since the pandemic began.

By the end of the week, every state will have loosened their coronavirus restrictions to some degree, including Michigan.

The last two states, Connecticut and Massachusetts, announced steps Monday.

President Trump is threatening to permanently pull funding from the World Health Organization.

In a letter to the WHO director-general, the president said the organization’s mishandling of the pandemic has been costly for the world.

Last month, President Trump temporarily halted funding to the organization. At the time, he said the U.S. funds $400 million to the WHO each year, while China only contributes $40 million.

He added if the organization had done its job, the coronavirus would have been contained to China, where the outbreak originated.

President Trump says he’s taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19 despite warnings from health officials not to.

Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat or prevent malaria and to treat autoimmune conditions.

Back in March, the president touted the medication as a “game changer” in treating coronavirus. But according to a new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the medication does not work against COVID-19.

And it could cause heart problems.

The Food and Drug Administration has said hydroxychloroquine should only be used to treat COVID-19 patients being monitored in a hospital.

For the latest coronavirus news and additional resources, click here.

Categories: Coronavirus, Coronavirus Cases