Cooking With Chef Hermann: Savory Onion Twists
Savory Onion Twists (Based on a French Passaladiére Tart)
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 TB Butter
- 10 anchovies fillets, finely chopped
- 1 ½ LB yellow onions. Thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 thyme leaves removed from sprigs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pkg Puff Pastry Dough (2-Sheets)
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, chopped or slices
- 1 egg yolk and1 TB water for egg wash
Heat oil in skillet; cook the onions and sugar until golden (12-18 minutes). Add the anchovies, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the anchovies dissolve.
Remove from heat and stir in olives and balsamic vinegar.
Roll out the puff pastry to about 1/8 inch thick. Spread the olive-onion mixture along one long side of the pastry leaving a ¼ inch border. Fold the empty half onto the olive/onion mixture and seal edge.
Using a parchment and baking sheet, transfer the pastry strips to the baking strips one at a time. Twist each strip and egg wash.
Bake about 20 -25 minutes until golden brown.
Cut into 1 inch strips.