Tricia Phelps from is back in the Heritage House to bring you some amazing local food from Modern Bird Bakery in Traverse City.
She is hoping to make this thanksgiving now only local, but simple!
Here is Emily Stewart or recipe for apple pie:
Cream Cheese Pie Dough
- 1.25 cup All Purpose flour
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 8 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Use a mixer to cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix just until combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and divide into two pieces.
- Flatten into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Flour surface and rolling pin, working with one disk at a time roll gently from the center of the dough to the top and bottom.
- Rotate the disk and roll to the top and bottom edges again.
- Re-flour the surface and rolling pin as needed and continue to roll and rotate until the dough is about 12 inches in diameter.
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 4-5 apples, Northern Spy, Honeycrisp & Mutsu
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Heat apple cider over medium heat in a small pot and cook until it begins to thicken and is reduced to 1 cup. Let cool.
- Peel apples and slice, add remaining ingredients to apple slices and toss together to incorporate everything.
- Place bottom crust into pie pan. Brush crust with an egg wash and add apple filling.
- Use a knife to slice top crust into even strips, about 2 inches.
- Take one strip and place across the widest point of the pie pan.
- Place other strips parallel to it, about a 1/2 inch apart.
- Fold back halfway every other strip, then place a strip perpendicular to them.
- Fold down strips and fold up the others to nestle in other horizontal strips.
- Continue until top crust is complete.
- Trim excess dough and crimp.
- Brush top with egg wash and raw sugar, if desired.
- 375 for 15 minutes
- 350 for 15 minutes
- Then 325 for 10 minutes or until apple filling is bubbling up through the crust
Tips for Lattice
- Work with cold dough, the colder the dough the easier it is to manipulate.
- Roll and cut thicker pieces of lattice, 2-3 inches in width. This will make it much easier to use and more forgiving when layering your pieces.
- Egg wash and sprinkle raw sugar on top before baking, gives it a nice golden color and wonderful texture.