Wellness for the Family: Sweet Potato & Pear Soup
This cold weather has us all ready to cozy up with a warm cup of soup and that is just what registered dietitian Grace Derocha from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan cooked up for us in the Heritage House Kitchen.
Here is the recipe:
Creamy Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add in EVOO, onions, celery and carrots. Cook until the onions appear translucent and soft.
- Add in the turmeric and garlic, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add in the broth, sweet potatoes, pears and salt and stir until well blended.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat.
- Puree the mixture with a hand blender or in a regular blender. Add in the nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Whisk in the Greek yogurt until combined.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve!