Preliminary Injunction Issued Blocking Ban on Flavored Vape Products

Some vape shops are rejoicing tonight.

On Tuesday, a judge blocked the ban on flavored vapes in Michigan.

Since then, the governor has promised to fight back.

A Court of Claims judge made the ruling.

She issued what’s called a preliminary injunction, stopping the ban on flavored e-cigarette products for now.

This all started in September.

That’s when Governor Gretchen Whitmer called vaping a health emergency.

She used an emergency rule to ban flavored vape products.

On Tuesday, the judge listed a few reasons for blocking that ban.

One, being that there was a delay in getting it implemented.

The judge says that undercut its designation as a health emergency.

The judge says there is also evidence that if flavored vaping products are prohibited, adults will return to using more harmful tobacco products.

Vape shops argued that the ban could put them out of business.

“There’s a lot of people that have used vape to stop smoking and I believe that’s a good thing and that right was taken away from them. Their choice,” said General Manager of Tobacco Outfitters, Mike Fish.

The governor responded by saying she would take the issue to the Supreme Court.

“This decision is wrong. It misreads the law and sets a dangerous precedent of a court second-guessing the expert judgment of public health officials dealing with a crisis.

The explosive increase in youth vaping is a public health emergency, and we must do everything we can to protect our kids from its harmful effects,” said Gov. Whitmer.

The State Attorney General also responded by saying she would appeal the decision directly to the Supreme Court.

Stay with Northern Michigan’s News Leader as we work to bring you the latest on the vape ban.