Michelle Cooks: Pizza Logs
We were back in the Heritage House Kitchen to pair two unusual food items into one that will have you begging for more.
Here is the recipe:
- 8 egg roll wrappers (larger than wonton wrappers)
- 8 teaspoons store-bought pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 turkey pepperoni slice (I used Hormel)
- 4 light Mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut in half horizontally to make two shorter sticks (I used Weight Watchers brand – recommended!)
- Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour some water into a small dish and set aside.
- On a flat surface, place an egg roll wrapper, corner facing toward you (like a diamond) and spread a teaspoon of pizza sauce horizontally across the center of the wrapper, leaving ½ inch or so of space on each side.
- Sprinkle a pinch of Italian seasoning across the sauce and add a row of 3 pepperoni slices over the sauce.
- Place half a cheese stick on top of the pepperoni.
- Fold the bottom corner closest to you up over the ingredients and give it a 90 degree roll.
- Fold the side corners in and tuck them as you give the filled section another 90 degree roll.
- Dip your finger in the dish or reserved water and lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper.
- Finish rolling the filled pizza log over the wet corner so that it adheres.
- Place wrapped pizza log onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- When all of the pizza logs are wrapped and on the baking sheets, mist the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10-14 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden brown