Wellness for the Family: How About Them Apples?
Well how about them apples? It’s almost fall!
We were back in the Heritage House Kitchen with Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to tell us all about how to incorporate one of our favorite local fruits into our meals – apples.
She is bringing us a Baked Apple Oatmeal and a Sweet and Savory Apple Brie & Pesto Pizza.
Here are the recipes:
Baked Apple Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped or sliced
- 2 apples, cored and diced (optional to remove peel) – favorite apple of choice
- 1/3 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 cups milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 more apple – cored and sliced into thin circles – optional to remove peel
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. generously spray the inside of a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, half almonds, all the diced apples, and half the peanut butter chips. Add to prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the remaining almonds, peanut butter chips on top of the oats. Place thin circle slices of apple on top of oats as well. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract, then pour over the oats and fruit. Gently shimmy and shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake oatmeal until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set, about 35 minutes. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of brown sugar on top of the oatmeal, and then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds.
Sweet and Savory Apple Brie and Pesto Pizza
- 2 pieces of naan bread
- Small jar or homemade pesto
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 Michigan granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. brie, thinly sliced with casing removed
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Put naan bread on prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon pesto evenly over both slices of naan bread.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the pesto. Place sliced apples and brie on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is beginning to turn golden.