Michelle Cooks with Jennifer Gawel: Cheeseburger Soup
That cooler fall weather is approaching and that means it’s time to cook some warm food for the family.
We had Registered Dietitian, Jennifer Gawel, of the Kalkaska Memorial Health Center in the Heritage House Kitchen to bring us her recipe for cheeseburger soup.
- 1 lb(s), Ground Beef 90% lean
- 1 cup, chopped, Celery
- ½ cup, chopped, Onion
- 4 cup (8oz), Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 cup (8 fl oz), Water
- 4 cup, diced, Potato (fresh)
- 4 tbsp(s), Butter – Unsalted
- ¼ cup, All Purpose Flour
- 6 fluid ounce, Tomato Paste – No Salt Added
- 2 tbsp, Ketchup
- 2 tbsp(s), Mustard
- 2 cup, Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ cups, Low Fat Milk
- Cook beef in a large pot over medium-high heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add celery and onion; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, water and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste, ketchup and mustard.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese, a handful at a time. Cook just until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve topped with tomatoes, onion and/or pickles, if desired.