Anglers Need Your Help to Cleanup the Au Sable River
After Labor Day weekend, traffic along the Au Sable River slows down, leaving behind a long stretch of trash.
That’s why fishermen like Josh Greenberg are joining together to pick it up.
From bags and bottles to lost shoes, they’ll be breaking into groups to hit every spot along the river.
“Get as much garbage out of the whole thing as possible,” Greenberg says. “So that includes the north branch, the south branch, the main stream, and the lower river below Mio.”
Joetta Johnson has been volunteering for the cleanup for over 15 years. She believes that most of the trash is accumulated unintentionally.
“I don’t think a lot of people are throwing trash, I think that it’s a lot of people who lose their stuff,” Johnson says.
But intended or not, they say the junk has got to go.
“So many people come to this river for so many different things, And it certainly robs the experience when there’s just trash everywhere,” Greenberg says.
You can register for the cleanup by contacting Josh Greenberg at (989) 348-8462 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Event is sponsored by the Anglers of the Au Sable.
- When: Saturday, September 7th, 2019.
- Where: gates AuSable Lodge, Grayling, MI.
- 9:45am – signs that designated beats will be placed in the casting field. Meet your team at the beat sign and work out logistics.
- 12:00pm – The George Alexander Memorial Luncheon.
- Pre-registration is a must to ensure all beats are covered.