We had our second segment of ‘Eat the Rainbow’ today with registered Dietitian Grace Derocha from with Michelle Dunaway at the Heritage House Headquarters and we are moving onto yellow and orange.
Many of the yellow and orange foods have similar acidities and characteristics so we found it perfect to pair them together this week with this recipe.
We talked through a Carrot, Date, & Feta Salad on today’s Wellness for the Family.
Here is the recipe:
- 3 medium orange and yellow carrots
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped toasted almonds
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dates
- Thinly slice carrots into ribbons using vegetable peeler or mandolin
- Soak in ice water until the ribbons firm up and curl (about 15 minutes)
- Drain and pat dry
- Whisk together the cilantro, olive oil, honey, ½ teaspoon salt and lime juice in a medium bowl
- Add carrots, feta cheese, almonds and dates
- Toss until evenly combined