Man Suffers Burns, 2 Pets Die in Fire at Petoskey’s Hillside Club Apartments

“We got a knock on the door. Fire, fire. It was just like black smoke at first and then seconds after we walked out it was engulfed in flames.”

Residents of a Petoskey apartment building are displaced after a fire tore through their home.

The fire started around 6 Tuesday evening at the Hillside Club Apartments in Petoskey.

The Resort Bear Creek fire chief says the fire damaged eight apartments, seven were occupied.

One man suffered burns on his back and was taken to McLaren Hospital, treated and released.

There were no other injuries.

Two pets died in the fire.

The Red Cross is now providing resources and temporary housing to those displaced.

“I couldn’t believe it at first. Thought I was dreaming. You never think it’s going to happen to you. I’m doing OK. Trying to be hopeful. It could have been worse. I’m here, everyone’s alive. That’s all that matters,” says Galadriel Smith, who lost apartment in fire.

The fire chief says the building didn’t have a sprinkler system because they weren’t code when the apartment was built.

Hillside Club staff say they are helping everyone find new apartments.