Skip to Main

Northern Michigan From Above: Rock Cut

Shipping on the St. Marys River is vital to the nation’s economy, as well as the world.

After four years of hard work, the West Neebish Channel, also known as Rock Cut, was opened in 1908 to allow freighters easier travel.

In Northern Michigan From Above, photojournalist Jim Lehocky traveled to Rock Cut to capture the Cason J. Callaway navigating through the man-made channel.