The Four P’s & More Food with Oryana Community Co-Op
Four p’s to keep a community co-op up and running have this Northern Michigan grocer thriving.
Oryana Community Co-Op in Traverse City bottom line is: People, Planet, Purpose, and Profit.
We were lucky enough to have the Co-Op’s cook, Laura Cavender, on ‘the four’ to talk more about their mission as well as make us some simple and healthy summer treats.
Here are the recipes:
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh Herbs…rosemary, thyme, bay leaf…
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion and herbs in a jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Cover and chill. Drain onions before using.
Dijon Lemon Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or smashed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For more on Oryana, click here.