Michelle Cooks: Asparagus Salad
On this week’s Michelle Cooks, she is putting a spin on this fan favorite sprout in a plentiful and raw salad.
Shaved Asparagus Salad with Ricotta and Pistachios
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pistachios
- 1 pound thick asparagus spears tough bottoms removed, tips reserved for another use
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toast the pistachios in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl to cool.
- Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl, whisk well to combine.
- Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the asparagus lengthwise into strips and place in the bowl with the dressing. Using your hands, toss the asparagus with the dressing and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Chop the toasted pistachios and sprinkle over the salad. Top with dollops of ricotta and additional lemon zest, if desired. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.