Carbon Monoxide Detected in Big Rapids Apartment Building

Carbon monoxide forced the evacuation of some apartments in Big Rapids.

The carbon monoxide built-up at country place apartments off of Milton Road Thursday.

Two women called about a suspicious odor.

The Big Rapids Fire Department says there were no levels in the apartments but they did find low levels in the mechanical room of the building.

The two women who reported the issue were taken to the hospital to be treated and were released.

The fire department reminds everyone to be sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

“They’re a good thing to have in the home because it’s a colorless, odorless has that will put you to sleep and unfortunately it is fatal in high doses,” said Captain Sean Wethington with the Big Rapids Department of Public Safety.

Once the building was ventilated and cleared of carbon monoxide, everyone was allowed back inside.