Cheboygan’s Earth Day Plus: Magic Tricks, Meet the Vampires of the Great Lakes
Dubbed “Vampires of the Great Lakes,” sea lampreys are not native Michigan’s waters, but they live there now.
And Cheboygan’s free activity program Earth Week Plus is your chance to meet them.
Earth week Plus’s expo on Saturday will show off the sea lampreys up-close, and Jania Taylor “The Magic Lady” will be presenting the magic of recycling with some spectacular Earth Day magic tricks.
These activities and more are a community-wide celebration of our planet, and free to the public during the months of April and May.
See below for a list of events. Watch the video above for more information, or visit earthweekplus.org.
EARTH WEEK PLUS EXPO
- Saturday, April 13, 10:00 – 1:45
- Presents workshops about diverse topics, along with 35 eco-tastic displays about nature, conservation and restoration.
- See Yooperlites, the new rock star from the UP; find out when clear-cutting a forest is the best option; see snakes, bones, feathers and skulls in the Discovery Room; learn about sea lamprey, the “Vampire of the Great Lakes.”
EARTH WEEK PLUS ADVENTURES
- Thirteen adventure programs are scheduled through April and May.
- They offer tours, talks, hikes and ceremonies celebrating nature, ecology, history and research.
- Tour research vessels that do science on the Great Lakes; attend an authentic native American Sunrise Ceremony; see the stately sturgeon in the Black River; visit a farm and learn how caterpillar tunnels extend the growing season.
The complete schedules of Earth Week Plus’ activities and adventures are at earthweekplus.org.